Re-working a Vintage Wedding Dress


So many times I find wedding dresses in charity shops, slightly battered, lost, maybe a broken zip or a slight rip but especially stunning dresses that I think deserve a second chance. 

So reaching for the trusty Dylon dye (which now comes with added salt included in the box) I decided to take a chance and work some magic on a 1950's lace wedding dress. 

I pre-washed the dress by machine - no mercy here! 

Then let it dry naturally.

Put it back into the washing machine and added the contents of the Dylon dye - I opted for a black dye...

Put the machine on a 40 degree wash.

Hung it out in the garden to dry...

So, what can be noted is that I didn't quite get the results I thought. I had thought black or shades of grey. Perhaps even silver under tones...

But no - I got brown. 

It has to be noted that when dying vintage clothing, there are several factors to take into account - some of which can't be known prior to dying. For example, not all garments have fabric and fibre breakdown. There fore some fabrics can be made from natural fibres which will take the dye better and produce stronger colours or made from synthetics that may or may not take the dye. Or a poly/cotton which can take the dye in varying degrees and shades.